After more than 12,718 votes were cast for 302 nominees, Independent We Stand is proud to announce the top twenty-five businesses that represent the best in the country. The quarterfinalists for the 2014 Independent Small Business of the Year Award, in no particular order are:
- Lead in the Window, an art gallery and supply store in Las Vegas, NV
- The Cross Eyed Owl, a gift shop in Valatie, .NY.
- BSR Used Books,a bookstore in Granite City, IL
- The Ginger Armadillo, a food truck in Austin, TX
- Grolier Poetry Book Shop, a bookstore in Cambridge, MA
- Afterwords Books, a bookstore in Edwardsville, Ill.
- Mike's Community Cup, a coffee shop in SeaTac, Wash.
- Cornells True Value Hardware, a hardware store in Eastchester, N.Y.
- Wagoner Power Equipment, an outdoor power equipment dealer in Englewood, OH
- Superior Outdoor Power, an outdoor power equipment dealer in Superior NE
- Prairie View Farm Market, a garden center and farmer’s market in Hampshire, IL
- Illustrated Beauty, a hair salon in Somerville, NJ
- Jan's Paperbacks, a bookstore in Aloha OR
- Vickery Hardware, a hardware store in Smyrna, GA
- Artsy Fartsy Art Gallery, an art gallery in Carson City, NV
- Mower Man Lawn Service, a landscaping business in Lakeside, Calif.
- Matt's Building Materials, a lumberyard and hardware store in Pharr, Texas
- Copperhead Lodge, provides lodging and host special events in Blairsville, GA
- A Dodson's, a gift store with three locations in Virginia
- Cynwyd Station Café and Tea Room, a café and jewelry store in Cynwyd, PA
- Life's Memories and More, a craft store in Palmer, MA
- D'Arcy's, a restaurant and general store in Westfield, IL
- Califon Book Shop, book shop in Califon, NJ
- Monkitree, pottery and jewelry in Gardiner ME
- For the People, Home and accessories goods in Phoenix, AZ
Semifinalist voting is now underway at www.IndieBizAward.com through December 14, giving local communities a chance to stand by their favorite businesses. On December 14, the top 10 quarterfinalists that receive the highest number of public votes will be named Semifinalists. The winner of “The Indie” is then chosen by a panel of contest judges and will be announced on Dec. 17.
The Indie Award winner will receive a comprehensive prize package valued at more than $10,000, including a check for $5,000, a $1,000 STIHL equipment certificate, public relations and social media recognition, Independent We Stand Premium Membership paid for for life, and a plaque to display at the winner’s business. The winner will also receive a Small Business Web Starter Package from independent web design firm Launch Interactive and a 3-day/2-night stay at an independent beach resort hotel in Virginia Beach, Va., that includes a tour of the STIHL Inc. headquarters and dinner with the Independent We Stand team.
Past winners include All-Points Personal Transportation of Raleigh, N.C., who regularly provides free transportation to individuals in need, Georgia-based Howard Brothers Hardware, who was recognized for outstanding dedication, and Trio Hardware of Plainview, N.Y. and recognized for their community support.
To vote for your favorite quarterfinalist visit: www.IndieBizAward.com.
To learn more about the importance of small businesses in America visit: https://independentwestand.org/.