After more than 11,700 votes were cast for 265 nominees, Independent We Stand is proud to announce the top twenty-five businesses that represent the best in the country. The semifinalists for the 2013 Independent Small Business of the Year Award, in no particular order are:
- The Cross Eyed Owl, a gift shop in Valatie, .NY.
- Trio Hardware & Paint , a hardware store in Plainview, N.Y.
- Afterwords Books, a bookstore in Edwardsville, Ill.
- Mike's Community Cup, a coffee shop in SeaTac, Wash.
- Partners Village Store and Kitchen, a cafe and bookstore in Westport, Mass.
- SaraBoo Creek, a home decor shop in Crest Hill, Ill.
- Ju-Ju Monkey, a retail shop in Allentown, Pa.
- Charis Books and More, a bookstore in Atlanta, Ga.
- Cornells True Value Hardware, a hardware store in Eastchester, N.Y.
- Seth Broudy School of Surf, a surf school in Virginia Beach, Va.
- Authentic Haven Brand Natural Brew, a premium tea company in San Juan Capistrano, Calif.
- Ken Combs Running Store, a specialty sports store in Louisville, Ky.
- Full Circle Catering, a sustainable catering company in Lexington, Va.
- Simply Unique Jewelry Designs, a custom jeweler in Yorktown, Va.
- Mower Man Lawn Service, a landscaping business in Lakeside, Calif.
- Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee Company, a coffee roaster in Reno, Nev.
- Mel's Downtown Creamery, a ‘50s style ice cream shoppe in Pawcatuck, Conn.
- Craftsman House Gallery & Cafe, an art galley and cafe in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Matt's Building Materials, a lumberyard and hardware store in Pharr, Texas
- LocalShops1, a buy local organization in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Advocare All-Stars, a health and wellness organization in Crosby, Texas
- A. Dodson's, a retail gift shop in Suffolk, Va.
- Midwest Farm Service, an agricultural and lawn service business in Alliance, Neb.
- Sherry's YesterDaze Vintage Clothing & Antiques, a vintage shop in Tampa, Fla.
- Why Not Envy Me?, a ladies boutique and gift shop in Spring, Texas
Semifinalist voting is now underway at www.IndieBizAward.com through December 1, giving local communities a chance to stand by their favorite businesses. On December 1, the 10 submissions that receive the highest number of public votes will be named finalists. The winner of “The Indie” is then chosen by a panel of contest judges and will be announced on Dec.4.
The Indie winner will receive a comprehensive prize package valued at more than $15,000, including a $5,000 American Express gift card from Chrysler Group, a $1,000 STIHL equipment certificate, public relations and social media recognition, a five-minute video to be featured on the Independent We Stand YouTube Channel and a plaque to display at the winner’s business. The winner will also receive a Small Business Web Starter Package from independent web design firm Launch Interactive or ARI Network Services and a 3-day/2-night stay at an independent beach resort hotel in Virginia Beach, Va., that includes a tour of the STIHL Inc. headquarters and dinner with the Independent We Stand team.
Past winners include All-Points Personal Transportation of Raleigh, N.C. who regularly provides free transportation to individuals in need and Georgia-based Howard Brothers Hardware who was recognized for outstanding dedication to customers, employees, and community members.
To vote for your favorite business or to learn more visit: www.IndieBizAward.com.